Thursday, December 27, 2007

Staging Yard

While taking a break from working on changes to the Yard .... the story for another day ... I did not want to make the same mistake on the Staging Yard. So I started working on the new operating requirements for the new arrangement. I found out that I need three sets of cars for each job and not two that I had on the last version. So now the Staging Yard will need to hold around sixty cars and not the thirty I was planning. This also means that I will need somewhere between hundred and fifty and hundred and eighty cars to operate the layout. May have to open a few of the kits and start building again.

Time to check things again to make sure that I do not need a fourth set of cars.

later

Doug

2 comments:

Scott Jay said...

How do you determine the number of cars you'll need to operate the layout?

I work it out based on 3 times the number of spots at industries, plus a few.

Without staging there will be one "set" spotted at industries, one set in a yard ready to depart, and one set in the yard to be classified into the next trains. I treat staging as just another industry, albeit a very large industry.

Scott

Doug Whitman said...

Scott

Outside of the Mill, I switch half of the industries on the layout on one session and the other on the next. The Mill, the recycled paper (incoming), finished paper (outgoing) and boiler house will be switched each session and the speciality tracks will be half and half per session.

Roughly sixty cars are needed to spot all the industries on the WRS. Thirty in the departure track, another thirty in arrival track (from the last session) and sixty in staging. So 3 cars for each industry spot, as you said. If I was doing a complete exchange of all industries per session I would need a fourth set of cars. Also would need a second yard to give me both North and South trains to service the areas of the layout.

later

Doug