Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting Dirty

I have in the past done a few weathered pieces of rolling stock, but I have not been happy with many of them. This is mainly because I went to far in doing weathering.

Over Christmas I came across an Utube video on weathering when viewing a layout video. So I looked for more. Some were good, some where hard to watch because of the video quality. After reading the article on weathering Canadian Grain hoppers in January issue of RMC, I started working on a few of my older Blue Box pieces of rolling stock.


This is a covered hopper before anything is done to it. The second picture show what it looks like with a couple coats of white wash, some chalk power and dull coat. The trucks and wheels were also weathered. This show a car early in its life.
This shows another car near the end of its life. Rust has started on the body of the car. The car also has had the new owners marking added.




These are a couple of gons I have finished. They are not a shiny red anymore.
The more I do, the better I will get at it. I hope....
The one thing I have learned is to look at pictures of the real car if you can to see how Mother Nature did it. There are many sites one can use to find this information.
Until next time
Doug

2 comments:

Wayne Woodland said...

Yes - you will get better the more you do Doug. You picked up alot of useful info on those videos, but just dont take up the rapper part of it....


Wayne

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne

I would need alot more talent to become a rapper ....

Doug