Monday, November 10, 2008

Road Trip



The past weekend Bruce and I made a Road Trip to Saint John for their Show and to visit a couple local railroads.

We left early on Friday hoping to do a little railfanning on route, but Mother Nature had other ideas.

After arriving at the Show site, we helped with setting up for the Show. After helping Steve setting up his new Carleton railway modules, we headed off to Island Central for an operating session. This is the first time I have been to the Island Central in four years. We were joined by Don and Ray from Yarmouth. I was given 102 East a hot shot general freight from MacAdam to Saint John.


102 East on the Island Central



Saturday it was off the Show. After spending the morning shopping. I joined Steve as a brakeman on his Carleton Railway's Monticello, Maine freight yard.


Steve looking over his new modules.

Another shot of Steve's modules, with an operator from the Saint John Group

During the morning one of the members of the Saint John Group handed me the controls for the Mainline. After making many trips around their layout, ( you have to follow your trains because of the reversing loops at the end of their layout), first with Island Central power, and then Carleton Railway C424, it was off to lunch.







Carleton Railway C424 at the Station at Monticello, Maine



After the Show, Bruce and I joined Doug, Don and Ray for supper before heading to Steve's for an operating session on the Carleton Railway.



Sorry, no pictures from Steve's, I have to learn to hold the camera still and take spare batteries.



My train on the Carleton Railway was #44, a General Freight from Avondale to Millville. I was wondering why I had a Trainmaster and two C424 for the seven cars in my train. By the time I arrived in Millville I understood why. My assignment was to pickup any cars for CPR Interchange at Millville and any cars to be delivered along my route on the CLR.



The unplanned meet at Wakefield made things interesting on the CLR. A total of four trains were on route to Wakefield at the same time, two in each direction. For those people who have never seen the CLR there is only a very short siding at Wakefield. The meet had to be moved to South Newbridge, which meant two of the trains had to back down the grade. After a few moments, all four trains were again on their way.



Thanks again Steve for allowing us to operate on CLR.





later



Doug





No comments: