Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Visiting Layouts

When I started designing a layout for my basement, I had ideas of what I wanted in a layout. The design was a two and a half deck with a three hundred plus foot main line with staging yards at both ends of the layout. It was designed to be a bridge railroad with BN on one end and CP on the other. As I worked on the layout, more and more industries were added. The last version I had designed, I was over one hundred and thirty switches required to complete the layout.

After building a few modules for the UMG, I started to calculate the cost in time and money, of building my dream layout. So I stared over, now a single deck layout. But now it was a branch line based in the New England area. This design is some where on the computer.

Last year, I put this idea aside and set up my UMG modules to be my home layout. For all of you that have been following this blog, you know that I have made many changes in that setup over the last year. I was happy with the way things were going. It was meeting the requirements I was looking for.

A few of weeks ago, I when to the train show in Saint John and had the chance to visit and operate on Steve McMullin's Carleton Railway. As soon as I was home, I wanted to make changes. I wanted my bridge railroad again. I looked at my present layout to see if I could convert it into a twin decked layout. But the changes will not give me what I want. So it is back to Cadrail to redesign my future railroad. Until I can finish the design and collect up the material I need, I will continue operating the present White River Southern. I am going to continue working on different methods of operating on the present layout. Which is one of the major reason I set up the modules in the first place, to learn what I want to include in the next layout.

Ok that is enough of my typing for now. Will update you as things develop.

later

Doug

4 comments:

Scott Jay said...

Don't you know by now that you should NEVER visit other layouts! The result of such visits is always discontent with your own layout. It never fails to happen. Ha!

Scott

Doug Whitman said...

You never know what can be done until you visit another layout.

But it better to visit before you spend a ton of money and time on your layout :-)

I am working on some changes to the WRS opertions to include a few things that I saw and did on Steve's layout. More in a future posting.

Doug

Steve Mc said...

I'm truly sorry to be causing so many problems!

Steve Mc

Scott Jay said...

What you've created after a visit couldn't be farther from a "problem", Steve! Both times we've visited you layout I have taken something away with me that has resulted in an improvement in the operations of my own layout. Sure, there are some temporary "growing pains" while the layout is in disarray rom reconstruction, but in the long run it's all for the better.

Thanks!

Scott