Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ops Session Nov 28

The WRS finally had another operating session.

Barry headed for the MEC/South Yard to see if the changes Management had made since the last ops session will improve how the Yard operates. Pierre and returning operator Jeff headed to White River Paper to operate the local mill switcher. Glen headed for the North Yard to pick up his train and headed for Dogwood. Dave headed for Roseton to switch the town. And Wayne headed to the South Yard to pick up his first of his five mainline trains. With the return of the MEC GP38's, Wayne had to use a pair of leased BN C424's.





Barry working the MEC/South Yard



Wayne at the South Yard waiting to depart with his next Mainline Train.


Pierre and Jeff at White River Paper


Dave at Roseton


Glen at Dogwood
During the ops session, I have two jobs. One is the North Yard Switcher, which is mostly to move the cars from the Arrival Track to a storage track after the Mainline Train departs. The other job is the MEC Transfer, which runs from the MEC Yard to the Paper Mill and back. That is when the "fun" happened. I was picking up my caboose and I was watching the end of my train and not the front. The engine left the Yard and entered the Mill, almost hitting the Mill Switcher. But the loco did run one of the switches. So when I started backing up to pick up the caboose, the engine and first car in the train "tried" to enter the Boiler Plant.
The revised plan for the operations of the MEC/South Yard was an improvement, but there are a few plant issues that need to be addressed before the next session.
It was a great session and everyone had fun, which is why we do it.
later
Doug



8 comments:

Scott Jay said...

The layout is looking good Doug. I see you made a lot of changes since last year. Can't wait to get over in January for some operating!

Doug Whitman said...

Yes, Scott there has been a few changes to the layout since your visit a year ago. Still a few bugs to work out with the new arrangement.

Hope to see you in January for an ops session.

Dou

Wayne Woodland said...

It was a fun op session...must have my camera handy for next time though - if the boiler plant wall had been pierced, I'm sure the resulting explosion pictures could have been sent into that TV show "Destroyed in Seconds"....

Wayne

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne

I am working on some improvements so it will not happen again.

The easiest is to keep at throttle out of my hands :-)

Doug

Allan said...

Them's a lot of changes since I was there last Doug. Can't wait to see it in person.

Doug Whitman said...

Allan

I was looking back over the posting since you and Scott have visited.

There has been many changes, some small, others large and a few that were installed and now have disappeared. And even a few since the last operating session :-)

Looking forward to your next visit.

Doug

Allan said...

Maybe, (If the Island guys let me) I may ride on their coat tails in January. :-)

Scott Jay said...

Hmmm.... We might be able to arrange something. I'll try to remember to let you know when we are going. We're just waiting for Doug an' da boyz to give us a couple date options.