Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Summer Project

In July I got a phone call from Wayne asking if I wished to come to the On30 construction night. Since I had used the two modules that was the mini yard for the local UMG shows on the revised Paper Mill, I wanted to see their light way construction methods.

After a few more visits to construction nights, Wayne asked if I wanted to go halves on the modules we have been working on. I answered yes I would and now I am part owner of two On30 modules. Which can be seen below as the basic frame work was completed.






Wayne had planned to install a tipple, which he had required for the project, on one of the modules. But after many hours on Cadrail, I could not get to fit on a standard 15" wide module. So a third module was required and it would not be standard. In On30 everything is four times the footprint that of HO scale. So the tipple, dump truck and siding required almost eleven inches in length to get everything to line up correctly. This required moving the mainline track from the centerline to one side by four inches, install a curve on the siding after the switch and install a "bump" on the standard module to get everything to work correctly.

After the basic module construction was completed, the modules were moved to my basement to start installing the track working and scenery, the construction of the third module had put us behind the group and Truro was coming. This allow us to work on the modules more then one night a week.

Below is a picture on all three modules connected together with the new module with the "bump" in the middle with the cork on it. As you can see in the picture the area where the Paper Mill as and more was taken up by the three modules.




During the next few weeks, foam was added to create the hill and road going up to the top of the tipple on the middle module. The cork and track were installed. Then it came to install plaster to cover the foam. From this time on, Wayne and I were working almost every night to get the module completed in time.

To insure the modules were going to work, the group had a test setup in a local church two weeks before the Truro Show, which moved up Wayne's and my schedule.

After the test setup there were a couple things to adjust and a few more things to get completed before the big show in Truro.

The modules are below.





This is the first module in the set with the road going up the hillside to the tipple.


This is the middle module with unloading area, tipple and siding. Yes many hours were spend in doing the rock work to get it right.




This is the view of the middle module looking at the tipple and siding. Wayne build the tipple and the building on top on the hill.





This is the third module. The river was not planned at first, it was going to be two bodies of water on each side of tracks. One thing lead to another and it ended up the bridge over the river.

I had fun building the bridge one stick at a time. I had got the drawings from the web and cut and weathered the wood to construct the bridge. I even had to hand lay the track.


The second construction project was a little wood shed I build from scale lumber except for the window. I still have a few details to add to it. Here is a picture of it.



These projects were interesting as I had to use different skills then I have been using and working with Wayne and other members of the On30 Group, I learn other ways to doing things.

Wayne and I still have more details to add to the modules over time. But for now the modules are stored under the WRS, as it is time to get back to working and operating on the WRS.

later

Doug

2 comments:

Wayne Woodland said...

Great report on the modules Doug. We will probably need to start our finishing touches perhaps after the holiday season.

Wayne

Doug Whitman said...

Yes, Wayne, in the new year we will have to continue working on the modules adding more details.

Doug