Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Decoder Pro

After having Decoder Pro for a couple of years, I finally set down and started working with it. After a few days I was able to get my main computer working. I forgot that I had replaced my computer since I had installed the drivers that came with LocoBuffer USB. So the hunt for the CD started. A few boxes later, it was found and I had the program working.

Then I got brave and installed it on my laptop. After a little help from Scott, I got it working too. Now I will be able to work on my locos without having to move the Chief from the basement to the computer room and back.

Will update as I have more time to work on improving the locomotive's performance.

later

Doug

5 comments:

Wayne Woodland said...

Hey Doug - I attended Scott's presentation on using Decoder Pro (at last years Convention). It does look like a fairly easy to use package. I havent done too much programing of decoders other than the initial set up after installing in locos- someday I'll get some time to do some experimenting....

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne

The hardest part is getting the computer to talk to the programing track.

After that it is just having fun adjusting the loco's performance.

Doug

Scott Jay said...

You forget that Wayne uses Lenz. It's a lot simpler to set up! HA!

Seriously though, it is a vary straight forward program. It takes programming decoders from being a nightmare to being something that's easy to do. When you have the loco working acceptably you can save the settings. The you can mess around with CV's to see what effect they have. If you mess up the decoder you can re-write the previous good settings and start over.

One thing it has come in handy for is with my QSI RS-11's. Sometimes they lose their brains. I can very quickly restore the settings with DecoderPro.

Scott

Doug Whitman said...

The other thing I like, is when you have 4 S4s, you only have to program one and then download the other three.

Doug

Scott Jay said...

But don't forget to change the address, unless you want a 4 unit consist. ;-)