Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Never Done Railway

The second stop on the Road Trip, was at Brian's the Never Done Railway. Sorry for no crew picutes, was to busy trying to get my work done.

This is one end of Farside, the area which I was switching. The Power Plant is the Blue building, the Grain elevator is the tan building, and the small yellow building is Scott's Fertilizer.

This is the middle of Farside with the Fish Plant in the front and Sue's Oil behind it.

This is the Nyalls Livestock, just off the left side of the picture is the location of the Mine. This the other end of Farside.


After a quick tour of the layout and a few pictures being taken, Brian put us to work. Derwin and Doug to the Island Job. The Island is a separate part of the layout build on the oil tank. The cars are transferred to the Island by barge. Bruce got busy in MacGregor Yard. Scott took the Headache Corner Job and I when to Farside to start my job. The first part of the Job is to do the pickups in Farside. There were many extra moves since I did not completely read my pick up list. Brian's paperwork is arranged by where the car is bound for and not by industry, as my paperwork is. So I had to make a few extra trips back to some industries topick up more cars. After I finished all my pick ups it was time to depart for Headache Corner to drop off a few cars and then off to the Yard. Once in the Yard, I dropped the cars off and then picked up the out bound cars for Farside. I had a couple extra cars for Headache Corner. Not 100% of the story why I had the extra cars, but Iwhat can you do. After stopping at Headache Corner to drop off the cars, then it was time to return to Farside to complete my job. After some time the cars were spoted as requested. Why a Fertilizer plant got reefers, I did not ask. But it was an interesting time.
Thanks Brian for opening your layout to us.
Doug

4 comments:

Scott Jay said...

Fertilizer plants get all kinds of highly combustible materials. The reefers are to keep some of the more combustible chemicals from doing so spontaneously. Boomatnite is one of these.

Once boomatnite is mixed with some other compounds, like keepitcalm, they are less likely to heat up so reefers are not required.

That's the story I was told at least!

Scott

Doug Whitman said...

I was shipping boomatnite. Where is my union rep.

Wayne Woodland said...

Hi Doug;

Sounds like you had a nice trip to the Island - Thanks for the updates describing your visit.

Wayne Woodland

Doug Whitman said...

Wayne

Hope you have as much fun was we did, when you get a chance to operate on their layouts.

Doug